Aldermoor Community Farm is on Aldermoor Rd, SO16 5NN.
We are a bunch of ordinary people working together to produce as much food as we can in a sustainable way.
We are open on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9am to 5pm.
Our shop is in the doorway of a large barn which is open to the fresh air.
When the shop is open you can also wander around the farm – perhaps to feed the chickens, or maybe just sit by the pond and enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of the farm!
Our winter range includes:
- our own produce
- salad leaves
- winter radish (e.g. mooli)
- fresh herbs – sage, rosemary, parsley
- Jerusalem artichokes
- Off-site range. From various local suppliers. They are not all organic, but it is a start. We will try to source organic produce in the future.
- Brussels sprouts
- cauliflower or spring cabbage
- mixed nuts
- garlic (from the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm)
- roasted garlic (from the Isle of Wight Garlic Farm)
- chicken and duck eggs (goose eggs from March onwards)
- from our own free-range and organically fed chickens and ducks. Highly rated by our customers, and usually, we have a full order book.
- free-range duck and chicken eggs from Clayton’s at Romsey
- organic flour from Shipton Mill (Gloucestershire)
- Cheese from Lyburn Farm in the New Forest
- milk refills from Dorset Dairy
- Hampshire oil and dressings
- jams, pickles and preserves
- hand made soap – from Southampton
- refill detergents – bring your own bottles and refill the range of household cleaning products from SESI – ethical and environmental.
- split logs – mix of seasoned soft and hardwood for £7/sack.
- Swedish candles (£12) – a great patio heater/lighter for your outdoor gatherings
Grow your own
We have a variety of bedding and pot plants/flowers including geraniums, iris, lily, hazel. For example, we have some vigorous day lily plants for sale right now at £6 each. They will last for many years and produce vibrant orange flowers that last a day and can be eaten (the only edible lily flower we know of). Once established they spread well and make a lovely edible addition to your garden.
A word about our eggs
We sell eggs from our free-range, organically fed chickens and ducks.
Our chicken eggs are much in demand and we have some long-standing customers and our order book is full. We are not currently taking more orders for chicken eggs.
Our duck egg supply is a bit better as this year we grew the flock with some home-hatched ducklings.
The ducks and chickens free-range around our meadows and under our trees. Their free-ranging is supplemented with organic feed. These organic layers pellets are quite expensive and it means that our eggs are 40p (£2.40 for 6).
Goose eggs are £1.25 each – available from March to May. The geese are our grass cutting team. They feed on grass (or apples if they scrump some!).