|Un-missable Volunteer Job Opportunities – Central Southampton|
Backoffice roles with a community-based support group
Date PostedG.E.M.S. FOOD is a voluntary community group. We run a brunch club and small food bank every Tuesday morning from 10 am till 11.30 am.
Throughout the height of the pandemic, our food bank and advice sessions were serving 1200 people in need a month.
We rely on grants and donations to fund the rent and supplies.
G.E.M.S. FOOD is a not for profit company and is registered at Companies House as a Company Limited By Guarantee Company Number 13013691.
To continue our work with people needing support and develop our community activities within the SO1 Southampton City Centre we need a much stronger back-office management team.
We are looking for up to three friendly, reliable volunteers to join our small team and become G.E.M.S. FOOD members and possibly directors.
We need to fill these three roles:
1. An Administrator/secretary processing rent agreements, insurance etc. and strengthen our collaborations with other agencies to providing more comprehensive support services.
2. A bookkeeper who can keep some accounts and report money information to the other directors.
3. Company Secretary to ensure that company rules are maintained and that all legally required records and filings are maintained.
There is very little financial activity, so one person could take on all three roles if they have the interest and time.
Job Description – Administrator/Secretary
As a secretary with good communication skills, you will need to correspond with our landlords, city council, insurance company, company house, food suppliers etc. and must have some ability in securing and identifying the relevant grants for our project.
To enhance the service we provide, we need administrative support to bring onboard groups such as the C.A.B, Homegroup, S.C.C. job advice service to run clinics at our venue.
Presently we operate our community group at the Kingsland Community Centre and need a secretary to actively assist us in sourcing a new building to maintain our activities.
Job Description – Bookkeeper and Treasurer
No specific skills accounting skills are needed but interest and willingness to learn. You will be working with a volunteer unless or until you feel you want to manage this function yourself completely. G.E.M.S. FOOD has only a tiny throughput of transactions, and so it is a suitable position for someone looking to gain experience in this area.
1. Managing the Bank Account
2. Reporting to the Board of Directors
3. Recording Transactions
4. Maintaining a Cash Flow. Projecting future cash requirements.
5. Keeping receipts and invoices in order.
6. Monitoring that due payments are maintained.
7. Keeping a record of petty cash and expenses paid to volunteers and directors.
8. Knowing that there is money and cash flow available for expenditures requested by the Directors. (Could be food, other consumables, rent or equipment etc.)
9. Helping to prepare Financial Accounts and financial returns to Companies House or Inland Revenue if requested.
10. To joinin the Board of Directors if invited and fulfilling the role of Company Treasurer.Job Description – Company Secretary.
The secretary predominantly plays an overseeing administrative role in the Company, understands the goals and responsibilities of the Company, and ensures that the statutory register is maintained in good order. The Company is a legal individual as if it were a person, and the company secretary is the legal contract of the Company.
G.E.M.S. FOOD is a Company Limited By Guarantee Company Number 13013691. The Registration model is that of a charity, although G.E.M.S. FOOD is not registered with the Charities Commission.
Your role will be to maintain correct records of:
1. The Companies Registered office Address
2. A register of directors
3. A register of Members
4. Any charges on the Company’s assets or loans to the Company
5. Minutes of general and board meetings
6. The company secretary should keep the Company Memorandum and Articles of Association (Mem & Arts), and the Certificate of Incorporation. The (Mem & Arts) are the rules of the Company. Company Members should be able to ask you about these rules.
7. They should ensure that proper notice is given for company meetings, the Annual General Meeting, and directors’ meetings.
8. The company secretary will sign any legally required documents such as annual reports and accounts on behalf of the Company.
9. The company secretary will receive any official documents on behalf of The Company.
10. The Company Secretary will report to the members if rules are being ignored.