The Hampshire Healthy Families 0-19 service is a partnership between Southern Health Foundation Trust and Barnardo’s. We are looking for enthusiastic and creative people to support us in our work throughout Hampshire. Our volunteers are highly valued members of our team, supporting us and health visitors in the delivery of services and workshops to families, providing better outcomes for more children.
Our Family Support – Group Helper volunteer role is diverse and flexible and will suit a range of personal skills and preferences. Our volunteers can:
- Support families during Child Health Clinic sessions, creating a welcoming, friendly and safe environment for families and actively promote key public health messages (resources & appropriate training given where required).
- Be a peer befriender, supporting parents/carers to access local services.
- Help run a Ready Steady Mums group (social walking group).
- Support the delivery of our courses and workshops to parents (Five to Thrive, School Readiness, HEART Healthy Eating, Activity & Resources for Toddlers, Baby Talk, and Toddler Talk).
Our volunteer role is usually available across eight areas within Hampshire, however, due to current Covid-19 restrictions we are not currently delivering our service in a face-to-face capacity, and Child Health Clinics are not currently running.
However, we are providing online support to families and all of our workshops and courses listed above are being delivered via Zoom and we welcome volunteers to support with this digital delivery. Once Covid-19 restrictions lift
we will be looking to return to work in the community.
The role is available during the day, Monday to Friday, from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm only.
Volunteer With Us
Do you have:
- A wish to volunteer with children and adults.
- Good listening skills with a caring approach.
- Patience and friendliness?.
- A ‘people person’ who is positive and encouraging.
- Open-minded and flexible in your approach.
- Willing to be supervised by service staff and health visitors.
- Willing to input your hours into our online volunteering system each time you volunteer.
- Happy to provide satisfactory references and for Barnardo’s to complete a DBS check before you start your role?
If you can answer ‘yes’ to all the above questions then you are just the person we are looking
Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteering with Barnardo’s is a great way to help vulnerable children and support families. Volunteers bring with them a range of skills, experience, and knowledge of their local community. In return, volunteers have the chance to develop skills and gain new experiences.
Volunteering with us will:
- Allow you to make a difference in your community.
- Allow you to gain new experiences.
- Build confidence by learning new skills.
- Make new friends.
- Enhance potential job opportunities.
- Look great on your CV.
- Be rewarding and fun.
- Help more vulnerable children, young people, and families.
With the support of the Volunteer Coordinator, you will be guided through the first few weeks with us. You will also receive on-going support and training throughout your time with us:
- Full volunteer induction online: including Safeguarding, Equality, and Diversity, and Professional Boundaries.
- Access to additional online training and development.
- Regular supervision and support from the Hampshire Healthy Families 0-19 team whilst you are volunteering.