FOR FUTURE VOLUNTEERING. This organisation is actively taking volunteers through the recruitment/induction process but please note you would only be able to start actually volunteering once restrictions allow.
- The Role: The Healthy Families service is looking for enthusiastic and creative volunteers to support project staff and health visitors deliver services and activities to children, parents and carers. We will explain the different activities available and look at what interests you most, but as part of the role you will be expected to do some or all of the following:Help run Ready Steady Mums or Knowing Us support groups;
- Promote the Five to Thrive approach to families;
- Help run health roadshows and other relevant activities provided by Healthy Families that promote healthy outcomes for children across Hampshire.
- Show good listening skills with an empathetic approach;
- Be willing to take direction from project staff and health visitors;
- Be able to create a rapport with a range of people – be open and encouraging;
- Want to volunteer with children and adults;
- Have patience and strong relationship-building skills;
- Be non-judgmental and flexible in your approach;
- Be happy to volunteer on your own in your local area, with access to a mobile phone for lone working purposes;
- Be able to travel around your local area and willing to help others use public transport and walking routes to get to different places in their community;
- Some activities may need volunteers willing to talk to larger groups of people – if you have the confidence to do this, please let us know!
As a Barnardo’s volunteer you will receive the following:
- A full induction into your role and Barnardo’s in Hampshire and IOW;
- Full volunteer training, including Safeguarding, Equality and Diversity, Professional boundaries, and information about your role;
- Regular supervision and support from the Volunteer Coordinator;
- Support from the Healthy Families team whilst you are volunteering.
We will reimburse reasonable expenses (travel costs, parking, etc.) on a regular basis.
- You will contribute to the development of the service and its day-to-day running;
- You will arrive punctually to activities as arranged with Barnardo’s and the Health Visiting Team and keep in touch with project staff as required;
- You will maintain accurate records of what you have done and provide summaries and reports as required (this usually requires access to a computer);
- You will communicate effectively and sensitively with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, both verbally and in writing;
- You will carry out your volunteering within Barnardo’s policies and procedures and our basis and values;
- You will attend relevant meetings and additional training as appropriate;
- Minimum requirement of one 3-hour session per week (each opportunity is different – please speak to us about the time you would like to offer);
You will complete a DBS check and provide satisfactory references before you begin volunteering.